Welcome to Bucklebury Estate
 

The Bucklebury Estate is the oldest landed Estate in Berkshire and one of the oldest Estate’s in the country.

The Estate extends to approximately 1600 acres in the parish of Bucklebury and Stanford Dingley and comprises of farms, forestry, residential and commercial property.

The Estate is situated in central Berkshire in the heart of the Pang Valley. The River Pang flows through the Estate. The Estate also owns Bucklebury Common.

Bucklebury House is situated at the centre of the Estate and is surrounded by formal gardens and parkland. The House has an interesting series of outbuildings including a Dovecote, Stable Block, Carriage House, Theatre and Chapel. The old kitchen houses an interesting fan-propelled spit and range. The House also includes one of the country's oldest bathrooms together with a oval shaped lead bath dating back to the early 18th century.

Reading Abbey owned the Bucklebury Estate from (1127) until the Dissolution of the Monastries in 1538. John Winchcombe, son of Jack of Newbury, purchased the Estate in 1540 and it has descended through the same family to the current owners, Mr & Mrs Willie Hartley Russell MVO.

   
 

Willie and Marina Hartley Russell in the grounds of Bucklebury House

Today The Bucklebury Estate is a working Estate and includes an in-hand farm, let farms, forestry operations and grazing rights.

Bucklebury Farm Park (see link), owned by Rupert Hartley Russell, is open to the public and is home to a herd of Red Deer and other animals.

 

Original Bucklebury Cartouche
 

Armorial crest of Lord and Lady Bolingbroke

Gardens at Bucklebury House
   


Home | History | The Estate | Bucklebury Common | The Bucklebury Estate | Links | Directions | Contact

Website Design by Pipedream Design - Copyright © Bucklebury Estate 2011 - Content © Willie Hartley Russell MVO